Tuesday 14 October 2014

Richard Collins's Funeral

Details of Richard Collins's funeral are below have been sent to me by Sally Collins.

A Requiem Mass for Richard will be held on

Tuesday 21st October at 12 noon 

at St David's and St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Dew Street, 9 Fountain Row, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1SX.

Please could you let us know if you will be attending.

We were greatly supported by The Paul Sartori Foundation whilst Richard was ill. We received extraordinary compassionate care from wonderful hospice nurses in the nights leading up to Richard's death. As such, in lieu of flowers, we would request donations to be made to The Paul Sartori Foundation. Donations may be sent c/o The Treasurer, Paul Sartori Foundation, 31 Haven Road, Haverfordwest, SA61 1DU

Enquiries can be made to Roy Folland and Son Funeral Directors, 01437 763821.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I would like to add a comforting and very beautiful and inspiring story concerning Richard during his suffering and infirmity caused by his terminal cancer. This message was sent by Richard to a reader of this blog as part of correspondence between the reader and Richard. Richard's family, I am assured, do not mind this small example of Richard's closeness to God in his suffering being made public.

When I was in hospital I found the long nights awake particularly hard. So, I imagined Christ in His cell the night before Calvary and I joined Him there.
I took great comfort from the fact that I was able to share my suffering alongside Him.
Over the nights that followed, more visitors came to the cell. St Therese de Lisieux, the Venerable Fulton Sheen, Pope St Pius X, Padre Pio.
I began to look forward to my night time meditations and even added a priest friend also suffering with terminal cancer. 
It was quite a group that gathered each evening; we began to pray for friends and family in need (including yours). 
This has been a great source of comfort and understanding and, every evening, I remember ..... and yourself in my prayers.
God bless
Richard

May this small excerpt of correspondence serve to edify readers of this blog and may we learn to imitate the good example, courage, fortitude, charity and seeking of God's Face illustrated by this servant of God. May his soul and the souls of the Faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

1 comment:

umblepie said...


Thank you for this post, and thank you Richard for your charity and edifying example. Rest in peace.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...