Thursday 15 December 2011

Damian Thompson's Analysis of the Ordinariate

His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI to the Bishops of England and Wales:

"The other matter I touched upon in February with the Bishops of England and Wales, when I asked you to be generous in implementing the Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus."

His Grace, Archbishop Vincent Nichols to the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham:

"I think that is something probably beyond their resources at the present time, and I don’t think the Ordinariate would thank us, actually, to simply give it responsibility for a church that it would have to then maintain and upkeep."

Now that's what I call a generous response. "We would give you a Church but you probably can't afford it. We'd ask, to find out whether you want a Church, but we know you're poor so we already know what the answer would be. Nevermind, eh?"

1 comment:

Poppy Tupper said...

The Ordinariate is numerically tiny, though. It represents a miniscule fraction of already tiny congregations who were long used to being heavily subsidised by their Anglican dioceses. Knuckles is being realistic, Benny isn't.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...