Sunday 27 September 2009

Medugorie: Faith or Fiction?



"Yes. Uh-huh. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Really? Yep? Yep. Yep...Right you are! Really? Yep, Noooo! Well I never! Yep, yep."

"What did she say?"

"She said, "Buy more stuff!""

Fr Ray Blake has posted about Medjugorje last couple of days. I really don't know enough about it to comment too much. I agree with him that we should follow the official Church position on it. What does concern me is this video. The 'seer' is receiving an apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Where? In her house! To all outward appearances the vision she is experiences appears authentic, with tears, devotion, as if being swept up into mystical contemplation of the beauty of the Virgin and her words, her message to her and the World.

But is it me, or is there something a little unsettling about it. Like, what's Our Lady doing popping into this woman's house! Is this not a little out of keeping with Marian behaviour? I mean, far be it for me to say, "Isn't Our Lady more into scenic and rocky positions in the countryside?"

I don't know, whether this lady is authentic or not, but if she really is experiencing visions of the Blessed Virgin then how come she hasn't put a habit on and joined an order? As far as I know, and I'll admit to not knowing a great deal about Marian apparitions, the Virgin is appearing to a few seers, nearly all lay people and almost like clockwork, regularly like a party piece or something. This is totally out of character with historical, authenticated apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I have an open mind about it, but at first hand I agree with Fr Ray's analysis that the fruits are important.

Does Medjugorje result in an abundance of devotion to the Blessed Virgin, return to piety among the Faithful and hoards of Confessions etc, or does it just result in a devotion to Medjugorje. We know that God has used many visionaries in the past, some of whom, I think were lay people. Either Our Lady is appearing at Medjugorje so intensely and so regularly because she wants the World to recognise her Son now before some Great Chastisement, or these visionaries are not mystics but deceived individuals led astray by the wicked lying wonders of the Devil. Difficult, isn't it because Our Lord talked about wonders in the sky prior to the End. Yet, I didn't think the Devil had the 'power' to move the Sun and for that to be caught on camera. Until Holy Mother Church authenticates it, it cannot be taken as authentic. All we know is, Our Lady doesn't make mistakes in who she chooses, therefore if the visionaries are unreliable then that leaves open the question of whether they were chosen by Our Lady. Confusing!!

7 comments:

Physiocrat said...

Why traipse all that way when we can be in the real presence of our Blessed Lord Himself at Mass in our local church?

The Bones said...

True.

Mulier Fortis said...

This looks highly suspicious to me: for a start, it doesn't tally with the reports of St. Bernadette's behaviour when she saw Our Lady.

St. Bernadette spoke to Our Lady, asking the questions she'd been told to ask, and those with her didn't see St Bernadette's lips move (they had to ask her if she'd asked the questions)

Also, those with St Bernadette were reported as feeling some presence, whereas the people right next to this "seer" appear to be totally unmoved, and not looking at the seer, or even in the direction of her gaze. The natural human instinct, when someone looks up, is to look up as well- this has given rise to many playground pranks! The people round her are almost studiously ignoring her.

Finally, the joy on the seer's face appears well before she opens her eyes, and comes over as totally manufactured...

If Holy Mother Church ever declares this to be genuine, I will make a pilgrimage in reparation for my cynical outlook. Until then, I'll stick to places approved by the Holy See (let's face it, there are plenty...)

Ben Trovato said...

For me it is what the Gospa is reported as saying that is so improbable: particularly the volume of it.

One characteristic of Our Blessed Mother that strikes even the most casual reader of the Gospels is that she is a woman of few words: a contemplative.

And all approved visions bear that out. But from Medjugorje we hear of reams and reams of (dare I say it) platitudes with occasional more problematic statements...

pelerin said...

I would be curious to know whether they have done the 'candle test' on the 'seer' as St Bernadette was subjected to.

Depends on whether they have the elf n safety elves there I suppose. It would not be allowed here.

I tend to agree with Mac over this one and have never wished to visit Medjugorje. In fact I don't think I have ever met anyone who has been there - perhaps if they have they have kept it secret?

I agree too with Ben's comments on Our Lady - the volume of conversation seems extraordinary.

Henry makes a good point but don't forget Henry that so many of our churches are closed apart from during Mass. Visiting a shrine such as Lourdes can be of immense benefit to people as there is the opportunity of visiting Our Blessed Lord whenever one wishes.

Physiocrat said...

I knew someone who paid several visits to the place. She threw herself in front of a train.

Anonymous said...

To be fair Henry, a place like Medjugorje is bound to attract more than its fair share of troubled people looking for a miraculous cure to all of life's problems, as I am sure Lourdes and all the other shrines do too. Nobody can ever guarantee that these people will come away from any of these places with all of their problems miraculously vanished. This is especially true if they don't go there with the right attitude in the first place.

So, saying that somebody who visited Medjugorje later killed themselves really tells us nothing at all (except that we should perhaps all say a prayer for this poor person's soul!)

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...