Sunday 13 September 2009

NYC Mayors Who Couldn't Give a Dickens...



I just watched a programme on Channel 4 about how the German U-boats destroyed so many US ships in the war because of one commanders utter stupidity and indifference to human suffering, with a firm ideological conviction in the 'American way'. My Anglican friend told me that another master and commander, the Mayor of New York, seems to be suffering the same basic character flaws. In 1999, zero tolerance, the War on Homelessness otherwise known as the War on the Homeless took another direction in New York City, with Mayor Giuliani unveliing a plan to make the New York homeless work for their shelter. This plan was opposed fiercely in 1999 by both churches and homeless advocate groups and from what I have seen on the web it didn't get ratified.

I searched on the web for information on the plan and found this link from activists who sought to campaign against the plan. It is a snippet from what the homeless in New York got from Mayor Giuliani, namely, zero. Apparently Giuliani is a Catholic, last I heard. I guess he is one of those Catholics in power who, like Pelosi, Biden and the late Kennedy who are not particularly interested in the words of Christ, not even the stuff about helping the poor. I remember all this hoo-hah about 'zero tolerance' around that time and how very 'efficient' Giuliani was at dealing with vagrancy. Around the year 2000, 3.5 million people were homeless in the US, compared to 1.8 million in 1987. I know Giuliani has been unpopular in various quarters in the US, but I didn't realise he was a total...

It turns out that now Mayor Bloomberg is also ratcheting another plan to give it another crack of the whip. Here we are, then in the year 2009, a look at the NYC.gov website and Mayor Bloomberg is unveling a reform package.

New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS) Commissioner Robert Hess (related to Rudolf?) today announced a package of reforms—from expanded prevention before homelessness begins to new rental assistance strategies that help clients move beyond shelter— that focuses on work as the path to self-sufficiency. The centerpiece of the reform package is Work Advantage, a rental subsidy which will help those in shelter secure permanent housing and reduce their reliance on public supports by rewarding work (Hmm...Sounds like work for shelter to me!). DHS’ comprehensive approach builds on the strengths of previous reforms and puts the Agency in position to meet the goals set by Mayor Bloomberg’s Five-Year Action Plan to reduce homelessness by two-thirds by 2009. (A 'final' solution?)
When I say this is the reason I take a strong dislike to America, don't take it personally. I like Americans, in fact, one of my best friends is American. But the US government and the recent Mayors of New York stink to high heaven and have for a good while! In America and more and more in this country, if you don't have money you don't matter. What with homelessness going up in the US due to the foreclosure/sub-prime mortgage crisis, this could be a long, cold, lonely winter...

1 comment:

Big Fan said...

Laurence, your posting is especially interesting to me since I'm in the US. It's difficult to generalize about people here because it's such
a large country, both geographically and culturally, it's so diverse. Each region has it's own personality.

Personally, I think politics is always a dirty business. The temptation to corruption and power it too great. I believe Chesterton and Belloc had a great idea with distributism.

But you are right, Laurence, so-called "Catholic" politicians in the US are the worst offenders.

Mayor Guiliani is just another Catholic traitor. The question with all of the "so-called" Catholic politicians is, Does God think they're Catholic? God is the judge. They ex-communicate themselves by their own actions. But they are still able to influence the world in the name of Catholicism. How sick-of-heart are so many American Catholics as we watch this happen.

My heart went into my throat when reading this article in an Italian newpaper http://www.europaquotidiano.it/dettaglio/113000/barack_obamas_conversion_to_catholicism
It's saying Obama is going to convert to Catholicism. It made me realize that there may be an organized, concerted effort, for corrupt politicians to infiltrate the church - then try to redefine it, and use it as a vehicle to promote their political aspirations -- abortion, euthanasia, whatever they want, and say they're doing it in the name of God. Just something to ponder, whether it's Nancy Peolosi, Joe Biden, or Tony Blair.

But God has given us the Church, and "the gates of hell will not prevail against it."

Your posting is certainly a valid call for all of us to press for more focus on aiding the homeless.
Here is my area, "Mobile Loaves and Fishes" is a Catholic outreach to the homeless; food and personal items are taken out to the homeless, and the church also aids people in finding housing, etc. But with the economic downturn, the need for assistance is growing, just as you said.

I appreciate your speaking the truth. Love and blessings...

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...