Monday 17 August 2009

A Sponsored Walk?

St Jude, Patron Saint of Hopeless Cases, models the staff look. I've got a medallion but the beard might be a difficulty...

Moses had one, Abraham had one and probably every Old Testament prophet had one. They still hadn't gone out of fashion by the time we get to the Apostles as St Jude clearly had one because the picture above was taken around the time. I can confirm that Our Blessed Lord might have had one. Then, St Francis of Assisi had one and used it to miraculously make a spring of water in an Italian town the name of which I forget. Every self-respecting Catholic, should therefore have one. The staff. An essential accessory for the Catholic. I've just recently got into sticks, otherwise known as staffs with my Polish ladyfriend. They're very useful as a support for legs and also to beat thorn bushes out of the way, as well as striking down heretics with just one swift blow.

John, another parishioner of St Mary Magdalen has suggested a parish sponsored walk for the Building Fund of St Mary Magdalen's Church, Brighton. I think it is a splendid idea. A friend and I once did one for the Sri Lanka Tsunami Appeal, endeavouring to undertake a 25 mile walk from St Mary Magdalen's to Our Lady of Lourdes in Eastbourne. We were both totally shattered afterwards and couldn't move our legs for days. By the time we got to Newhaven we were doing that thing footballers do in extra-time when penalties are about to be taken. Muscle-cramp exercises that is, just to confirm, just in case you thought we were snorting cocaine off naked glamour models' behinds in the dressing room or signing contracts for rival clubs for a bigger pay deal, while claiming undying loyalty to our current fans.

I think it is a great idea and would generate quite a bit of money for the Building Restoration Fund, as people like to donate when you punish yourself brutally with exercise. It would also give us unemployed/retired-but-still-physically-capable-parishioners that all important something useful to do. I've got two sticks and I'm all set to use them. I can get more from a nearby wood so let me know if you are a Brightonian pilgrim and are up for it. More details hopefully to follow one day soon...

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...