Monday 24 August 2009

The X-Piano



Yesterday I sunned it up in Brighton and swam in our refreshing English Channel, all the way out to the furthest yellow bhoy. You get a totally different perspective on Brighton when you swim out. The town actually looks prettier the further you get away from it. Preparations for the St Mary Magdalen Car Boot Sale are well underway, having been advertised in the local press listings pages, but there were plenty of opportunities yesterday to raise more awareness of the event, but I didn't have any blinkin' flyers with me! O woe!

I was on the beach with John when we realised that Brighton Beach was packed and people were just waiting to be told all about the Car Boot Sale. We would have had them eating out of the palm of our hands. Then, realised later in the evening that the Brunswick Festival was on, and not only could I have distributed flyers there, but there were loads of small traders selling apples and soap who could have been interested in the event. It was a Sunday and we both wanted to rest, lie on the beach and soak up the sun, having had a few beers after Mass, which we duly did. But these were still excellent advertising opportunities missed! How irksome! Say a prayer that on the day, people still flock to the car park in the heart of Brighton for some serious browsing and that it doesn't piss it down with rain!



Anyway, the footage above is of Paul Harrison who I recognised at the Brunswick Festival because he saw me busking the other day in Brighton. He told me he was busker too and mumbled something about an open piano and I must say I didn't pay much attention at the time. Then I saw him at the Festival and was mesmerised by his incredible xpiano machine which he invented and designed and even built! I thought it was so great, that I asked if he'd like a space at the Car Boot Sale, but he is off to the 'Big Chill' Festival that weekend instead. He makes quite a bit of money from busking and selling his 'experimental open piano' music CDs. Anyway, lesson is, in future, if you are helping organise a local community event, always take a load of flyers with you, wherever you go, at all times!! Here is a picture of him. I know that his music is what might be labelled a bit 'new age', but you have to credit his ingenuity, imagination and talent. Cracking moustache as well.

Listen to more of his music here on his Myspace page. As for my busking, I've realised that people think you are more respectable if you can fingerpick, rather than just play chords. This week I will get my grubby paws on a 12-string...Oh, yes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Over half my lifetime ago i played guitar and sang 'Jesus' songs in Leicester Square...it was one of the most troubled times of my life...startlingly (to me now) I actually had the nerve to do that. I wasn't a busker at the time, I was a member of a cult and we regularly descended on large city centres to scour the streets for the 'vulnerable' and 'hopeless'.

Last week there was a fabulous violinst busking in Northwich, playing the most beautiful Ave Maria I had heard in a very long time. I didn't just want to drop some change in the bag laying at his feet, so i listened for a while and when he had stopped playing i told him his music was beautiful..he smiled the most wonderfully broad smile and thanked me profusely for commenting on his music.

The pleasure was all mine.

I now think of him and his beautiful music, and send up a prayer for him. I felt blessed to hear him.

Many of us walk past buskers, rushing around with our oh-so-busy-lives,maybe chucking a few coppers into a bag or an open guitar case... but you never know... just how your music may live on in someone's heart, or how they may pray for you long after the streets have emptied.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...