Monday 15 September 2008

Tindersticks II



A couple of evenings ago, I wanted to see one of my favourite bands, Tindersticks. I bought a ticket this week. The venue? St George's Anglican church. I assumed it was to be held in the crypt or something. So I went along, queued up. When I got in, I didn't feel comfortable at all. The stage for the band was on the altar. The pews were full of people awaiting a band. The bar (in the Church) was heaving and in the shadow of a giant and very beautiful crucifix sat the audience, drinking beer and chatting to each other. Now I really admire this band, but I walked out.

I understand that as an Anglican church, Catholics don't believe that the church is fully consecrated and that as such Anglican orders are invalid. But, it is still, or was a house of prayer. In days gone by, how many tears of penitence hit the floor of that church? In days gone by, how many hymns were sung to God? In days gone by, how many prayers were said there and on Sundays they are still.

Yet, whoever is in charge at that Church has allowed the very church itself to be like a nightclub. I thought that the gig, the bar and the lack of any reverence or respect to what that church was built for, was an insult to God, regardless of whether Anglican orders are valid or not.

I love music, I enjoy a good drink (perhaps too much!) but there is a time and a place. Recitals and choral pieces fine, but an indie band and the treatment of a prayerful space as a nightclub are bar are a little much.

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...