Monday 15 September 2008

Barefoot Walking



I know this is going to sound awfully hippy and new age, but on walking to town to collect my car the other day I had a sudden urge to take off my sandals and walk barefoot. Near where I live there is not much glass on the ground but obviously the closer you get to town the more glass appears as you approach the pubs and clubs.

I must say it does feel strangely liberating and comforting to feel my feet landing on solid ground. Perhaps because there is a lack of solid ground in my life, it compensates! Once you get closer into town it is impossible though, without getting glass stuck in your soles!

When I go to Seville at the weekend I will try it there. I know there is a tradition for pilgrims to walk barefoot as penance when they are visiting a famous shrine or place of pilgrimmage. As well as the obvious decrease in physical comfort enjoyed by the shoe-wearer, I suppose it symbolises a certain nakedness and humility, when you forego the shoe.

2 comments:

stefano vergani said...

i used yr pic for my blog post. i hope you dont mind :))) thanks , Stefano

Unknown said...

I walk barefoot frequently. Often I'll walk to Mass barefoot while saying the rosary and picking up trash that is anywhere in my path. I made a promise to St. Francis some time ago to make every effort to pick up litter in order to try and keep Mother Earth beautiful and healthy. I know it sounds strange, but I enjoy long prayerful walks barefoot.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...